Our mission is to serve the engineering student body by means of aiding the development of the societies found within the Benton Engineering Council. We serve as the link between engineering students and the bodies which govern them and advance the name of the College of Engineering to UF students and the surrounding community.
The Benton Engineering Council (BEC) was established in 1910 to serve as the executive and
legislative coordinating body for the students and organizations in the College of Engineering. BEC is responsible for the following tasks:
- To promote a professional attitude among students as a not-for-profit organization;
- To act as the executive and sole legislative body for all students in the College of Engineering and those students in the member societies
- To stimulate a unified state of objectives in the student activities of the College of
Engineering and among member societies;
- To sponsor and coordinate projects that will benefit the College, the University, and the community;
- To allocate monies which have been approved by the Student Government Budget Committee, the
Board of College Councils, the BEC Treasurer, and the relevant society treasurers in BEC to member
societies or organizations for the execution of engineering projects or travel that furthers the previous objectives.
BEC also plans several events throughout the year that are open to all members of the College of
- Engineering New Student Welcome
- Gator Growl Engineering Homecoming Float
- Engineers Week
- Pi Day Celebration
- Beside Every Child
Voting members of the general council are elected by their respective societies. All
engineering students are encouraged to attend meetings and participate in the many BEC
functions and events.